I finally got some of my Grandma Mollie’s recipes from my Aunt and I am so happy to have this sponge cake recipe. My Grandma died in the 90’s and was a huge loss. We lost our matriarch and the best cook in the family!
I’m going to be making a book of her recipes as well as pictures for the family and will post some of them here too. I hope you all have a lovely Passover. Chag Sameach.
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup matzo cake meal
1/4 Cup Potato Starch
Juice from ½ orange and rind
Juice from ½ lemon and rind
10’ Tube Pan (do not grease)
1 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Separate the eggs
2. Mix the juices and rinds of the orange and lemon along with oil – cream until foaming. Then set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff
4. Fold the egg mixtures together by hand then fold in the orange and lemon mixture
5. Sift cake meal and starch together
6. Fold in sifted cake meal and starch one teaspoon at a time
7. Pour mixture into prepared tube pan
8. Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour until cake springs back to the touch
9. Invert pan to cool. When cool, run a knife around the sides of the cake before removing from pan
10. Melt the cup of semi sweet chocolate chips over low heat in a double boiler until its smooth and the chips are entirely melted – Then cover the cake with a layer of chocolate